Why Braid Knots & Bimini's Fail

Differing types, strengths and weaknesses, line to line and line to terminal, crimps and crimping.

Why Braid Knots & Bimini's Fail

Postby Paulus » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi Guys
When you see braid knots fail at 50%, and less at times, you often wonder why this happens, many say it's because the diameter of the braid and the radii of the curve as the braid is wrapped around an object or then even it's self. It seems that the strands in the radii are not equal in length, nor are they equal in length when they are twisted,, so i took a few photos.

This is a sample I see a lot, a bimini failure, most fail in the mainline midway into the twists.

Both these lines were tied as a 50 turn bimini and one failed at 86.2% and the other 86.6%, both failed with the main line breaking half way into the twist.

The unequal lengths of the strands being the main culprit.

More to come

This is also a great photo as far as samples go, sample of a good line verses a cheaper braid, look at the thicknesses verses the breaking strains.
I keep saying it.
Paulus

Re: Why Braid Knots Fail

Postby Craig B » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:15 am

Hi Mate,
If the difference in length is a problem could a plaited double help reduce this?
I know a plait in braid is bloody hard to tie though!

Craig
Craig B

Re: Why Braid Knots Fail

Postby Paulus » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi Craig

Plaits in braid are hard as the first wrap around generally slips then if it is used for trolling the whole plait loosens and slips down the line.
Keep in mind that any twists or wrap around itself as in a plait allows loose strands in the braid. You cannot get around this.

If you do a knot of any type always run the braid through your thumb nail and fore finger a few times each side to flatten it, this also increases the footprint, make sure that you have no twists as you make the knot. For every turn you make around a line (or itself) with braid you can introduce a twist, so try to keep it as flat as possible.

This is why i introduced the Pullon system.
Paulus

Return to Knots, Joins, Doubles, Plaits, Twists and loops.