Braid diameter miss info

Discussions on, tests, methods, myths, correlating the results to meaningful information.

Braid diameter miss info

Postby Paulus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Well I see a lot of forums world wide, 55+ in fact, and a lot of the info put forward is wrong.

Braid as far as i am concerned has 2 measurements to it, that's for it's physical size (so called diameter).
Width by Height = a supposed Diameter. Then that needs to be compared to the breaking strain, anyone of these numbers on it's own, is of little benefit to any one, as generally as far as size goes, you get a number that is normally wrong, then so are all the breaking strains stated.

http://www.breammaster.com/forum/showth ... p?p=261946

Some very nice photos Guys, well done.
As can be clearly seen that there are 2 measurements that need to be taken into account because of the shape of the weave.
When you say the thinnest braid,,,, you must add,,,, for a particular breaking strain, or its meaningless.

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic. ... bac004b603

Hey guys and hello to a few i know.

Like I said 2 measurements for braid diameter, not just the thinnest one.

NOTE; all the diameter results have taken have been measured in the same way, on all the lines listed. The is mainly for comparison of the braids to each other.
Paulus
Last edited by Paulus on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paulus

Re: Braid diameter miss info

Postby yutryn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:01 pm

hey paulus hows life?

will be calling you soon i need to respool before trailer boat tournament

talk soon
dan
yutryn

Postby kknlk » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:54 am

Firstly, let me congratulate you on establishing your own forum. I think this is great that a fellow fisherman with particular skills offering to share them and the information you obtain.

Now, with diameter, I think it's a shame that so many manufacturers make extraordinary claims of the products they sell. There have been many tests on lines and I remember one article in a US mag that the author said one claim (in a test of 20lb lines) was something like "their 40lb line is the strongest 20lb line". I think the Japanese are getting it on the right track with their PE numbering system. On diameter though with braid line, the problem as you know is that unlike mono the profiles are not round. I see that you specify 2 dimensions which gets it closer to the truth. However, this can't account for the rounded corners. I'm thinking that perhaps you could measure the perimeter of the line and then divide it by π to get the equivalent diameter. This won't translate into how much line can be wound on a reel but we're not so concerned about that. what do you think?

ken
kknlk

Postby Paulus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:14 am

Hi Ken
I think if you look at this photo, you will see the two distinct sizes in the braid because of the weave, these are the two measurements I am taking.

In some cases because of the number of strands in the braid, More does not always mean round with some turning into a wider ribbon shape.

When wound up you can see the second measurement taking shape, this is why i put up a height by width measurement, the new averaged diameter is more than fair, as i believe the braids are even thicker that what i state.
Keep in mind all these lines on the list have been measured in the same way.

The Japanese number system is also wrong, as the lines are lumped into a number basket, Keep in mind that the breaking strain comes into play, and a diameter without a breaking strain means little on its own.

If they told the truth then 98% of the lines under 15lb would dissapear.

Paulus
Paulus

Postby iuanduofm » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:41 am

Have you ever considered the weight of the line as another dimention? I have a small micrometer and I attempted to do diameter measurements and am not happy with the results. However, weight is pretty easy and consistant, but I the line coatings might screw that idea up. Having an ABS per oz for a fixed line length might relate well to spool capacity, etc.
iuanduofm

Postby Paulus » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:05 am

Hi Art

The method I use works as a comparison for the lines I have tested, sometimes the first measurement i make (flat) is bigger than the manufacturer stated diameter, yet alone taking into account the width.
I think that the likes of Berkley needs to get its act together, as do the others, because what they state is bs and that is not breaking strain.
If you have had a line on your spool and know the length, then you can go to the line testing page and get a comparison for another line and work out how much your spool will hold.
Paulus
Paulus

Postby Paulus » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:15 am

Hi Guys

The diameter measurement is stated as a 0.001mm, that is one micron or a millionth of a meter.
But the term micron is actually not a recognized term in metrology, it is Symbol: µm or pronounced as mu or mew, see the tail on the front of the µ.

This measurement can be taken further in our lab to 0.000,01mm, but not really where it will help you as a fisherman. line diameters are critical in fishing, like spool filling, the amount on the spool, size for breaking strain and drag in the water.
Paulus

Return to Testing of Lines